Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Ourense Hot Springs

Ourense is best known for its hot springs in a series of thermal pools on the banks of the River Mino. Some are free (though not all of these are open at present). The main one, Outeriz, costs €6.50 and is themed like a Japanese onsen. The main problem is getting there. The choice is between a little train that rattles along uneven ground (a real bone shaker!) and a town bus that goes all round the housing estates of an adjacent suburb. I tried both and believe the bus is marginally better!


The little tourist train.


Inside Outeriz, looking down on the pools. Photography is not allowed!

Japanese curtains hang inside:





All in all, it was quite a worthwhile experience. There are difference pools making up a “zen circuit” with temperatures ranging from 38 to nearly 50, plus a couple of icy cold plunge pools. You are allowed 2 hours. My time was 11.10 am till 1.10 pm after which I sat in the cafe area to recover.

It seemed I was there at one of the busiest times. The pools were full of people of my age and above; most were very flabby, to say the least. Seeing all that excess flesh made me want to go on a strict diet immediately! You were advised not to spend more than 10 minutes at a time in the hot pools, but there were plenty of sun beds to relax in the sunshine and watch the River Mino flowing past. Most people were local: I hardly heard any foreign voices - mainly because of the difficulties of getting there, I suspect.

When my time was up, I ordered some miso soup and sat on the terrace above the pools:

This is the view looking back towards Ourense.



1 comment: